Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bama Week







Many of you have seen Lila's one week picture. Thanks to Emily Webb for taking the shot. We look forward to seeing the rest of her work over the weekend. Mom, Lila and I continue to do well. I don't what it is about the Ultimate Crib Sheet that Todd and Whitney gave us, but it sure does work. Lila has slept through the night for the past four evenings. Amanda is having to wake her every three hours to feed. Abby and I are sleeping like Lila and enjoying every moment.


As the title suggests, it's time for that annual fall contest between the Crimson Tide of Alabama and the Volunteers of Tennessee. Saturday will mark the first UT/Bama game that I've missed in Birmingham/Tuscaloosa since 1991, and the second game betwen the two that I've missed since 1990 (I was in Drew Fowler's wedding for a home game in 2000). I did educate Lila on some of the finer performances I've seen in the past 15 years such as the 5 OT game that gave Frank his name, Peyton to Joey Kent in 1995 and of course Peerless Price returning the kick in the 98 season. The past few years haven't been as grand. Our trip two years ago was only highlighted by seing my cousin, Paige Miller, and eating ribs at Dreamland. We'll be watching this Saturday hoping for an upset in what has been forgotten as one of the greatest rivalries in college football.


Our music lesson this week has included "1985" by Bowling for Soup primarily because the iPod mini can choose to be possessed by Steve Jobs and only sync up random songs. We didn't discuss the lyrics but rather the year in question. The World's Fair had come and gone, Reagan was in his second term and Mommy was three. Perhaps that's why she prefers Sublime to Spinal Tap. I referenced how Uncle Andrew's brother, David Johnson, played in the Sugar Bowl that year for Johnny Majors and the Vols. I was ten at the time and idolized Dale Jones and Chris White. I heard that Coach Majors spoke to the team yesterday. Maybe he can get them fired up.


In honor of today's announcement of their World Tour, we listened to some Bon Jovi. I know many of you were troubled that I didn't begin with my favorite rock band, but I wanted to wait for the right time. We had a triple shot of "Livin on a Prayer" "Keep the Faith" and "Someday I'll be Saturday Night." We've also listened to more Jack Johnson (good shhshing music) and also some Yo-Yo Ma. I've started her on the Bach Cello Suites. Hopefully, like my mother and father, she'll be able to pick out the cello when she hears it on the radio. I promised to Terry Wilson, my choir director, that I would play some Handel for her in the very near future. With the holidays coming up, she'll soon be hearing me practice the Songs and Carols for our church Cantata in December.


Amanda and I continue to be so thankful for all the cards, gifts, food and congrats from all of our friends and family. We so much appreciate all that you have done for our new family.


Go Vols!


KP

No comments:

Post a Comment