Tuesday, October 19, 2010

She's (the) One

We celebrated Lila Kate's first birthday two weeks ago. That's important for so many reasons. Not only did we find out that she can eliminate eggs from her laundry list of food no-no's, but we remincsed about where we were a year ago ( I was in the delivery room waiting for a partition, a dividing curtain, that never came) and how wonderful it was to gather our extended family together on a Sunday afternoon just to celebrate life in one of its most simplest stages.




I've been remiss in my blogging, and I have no legitimate excuse. I can blame TiVo, my office responsibilities or UT's porous defensive (and offensive) lines for my online absence, but I would be kidding myself in doing so.


Lila Kate has really enjoyed her Kindermusik class. Not only is it a great chance for she and Mommy to get out of the house, it creates a wonderful opportunity for our family to listen to the take home CD at every meal. Three times a day. Although it does distract LK from throwing her food on the floor (a real treat for the dog), the repitition of "Welcome to Today, Friend of Mine" and the "Train goes down the Track, Chug-a-chug-a-chug." has become nails across a chalkboard. It's especially nice when I'm stuck in traffic, or on hold, and one of these songs pops into your head. These little ditties are like termites, once it's there, good luck getting rid of it!


LK has become quite the talker. Her vocabulary extends past Mama and Dada, Abby, and her new favorite, No! She also likes to point and refer to almost everything as an apple. She also expresses excitement when she says "Wow!" and "Yeah!". I'm convinced that she's learned the word No not from being scolded when she throws food in the floor, but from overhearing her daddy watch the flailing Vols football team.


I'm humbled daily how fatherhood has changed me as a person. I've always felt responsible, even more so when I bought a house, said "I do" to the one I love, and started my own business. But this responsibility of being a parent is so much more. I have a new found selflessness that didn't exist 13 months ago. I realize now all the things that my mom, dad and grandparents sacrificed to care for and nuture me and my sister. I'm thankful for that, and I'm excited to return the favor.


Enjoy the fall,

KP

LK at Kindermusik class with Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment